vendredi 17 octobre 2008

Sticks and Stones

The first line was all it took to convince me. "Looking for an English mother-tongue person to help our 10 year-old son with his English." In French, your native language is your langue maternelle, literally "mother tongue." It was clear what they were looking for. But it made me chuckle each time I read it. It still makes me chuckle.

I called the number and a friendly-sounding man answered. He more or less asked me, "Are you really an English mother-tongue person?" I confirmed my English mother-tongueness. He told me I was the first person to call and conducted a brief phone interview ("What is your name?"). I was well-prepared (thanks, parents) and I got the job. A few days later I stopped by their house on Rue de l'Histoire (situated between Rue de l'Art and Rue de la Musique, what a cultural trio) to meet my new student. The parents welcomed me graciously and little Paul peeked his head out from the next room. I say little only because Paul is a very, very small person, not much bigger than his 6 year-old brother, Antoine.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Paul is really an American 10-year old living in Nantes in a little French body. Here's why: he loves football (the kind where they actually use their feet) and Youtube videos of crazy people doing crazy stunts. Admittedly, I was never a 10-year old boy, but that sounds a lot like Nathan Emmons minus 5 years. The morning of our first lesson, after we worked on his English homework and read a few soccer articles
online, I showed Paul a video called "crazy Russian climbers." The video is 10 minutes of crazy Russians (if Youtube is telling the truth) climbing walls like Spiderman with rap-action music playing in the background. I looked over and saw Paul's eyes glued to the computer screen, his mouth slightly open, his hand hovering motionless above the mouse where it had been the moment the video started. I reasoned that with every passing minute, I won about 10 coolness points.

Paul is a mature 10-year old. I also have the opportunity, as part of my stage pedagogique (teaching internship), to work as an English teacher's assisstant at a high school with a group of students who are, frankly, not mature. They are nice boys, a class of Seconde, which is the equivilent of 10th grade. I thought it would a fun exercise to have them read aloud and then translate the lyrics of a popular song called "American Boy." What I didn't know is that one line in the chorus ("I really want to come kick it with you") would provoke so much laughter that we weren't able to make it through the song. The commotion was caused by the words "kick it," which apparently sound a lot like a French slang word for a certain male body part that is HILARIOUS. At first I laughed with them (haha, body parts, haha), but after a few minutes I realized I needed a new game plan.

So I suggested we talk about stereotypes (French stereotypes of the US and American stereotypes of France). This discussion lasted several class periods, and I've put all the lists together into one giant list of stereotypes of the US. Prepare to be offended, surprised, not surprised, saddened, and potentially amused. Remember that none of these students have been to the US, and all their impressions are based on TV, movies, music, and the news.

Question: What do you think of when you hear "the United States?"

-very fat people
-yellow taxis
-action movies
-fast food, junk food
-all houses are the same
-everything is big (houses, cars, roads)
-anti-communist
-cowboys, country music
-everyone is rich
-big consumers
-wasteful
-FBI
-Chuck Norris
-politicians are all religious
-good rappers, TV series, movies

Ouch. I knew most of these stereotypes existed (the yellow taxi was a new one), but seeing the list on the board was surprisingly painful.
I reminded them that the US is a huge country, 3,536,278 square miles compared to France's 210,026 square miles. With that much more space, some things are naturally going to be bigger (though nothing can justify a Hummer). There are also 305,500,000 Americans compared to 64,000,000 French. While it's hard to defend the extravagant consumerism in America, it doesn't seem fair to just compare numbers. Consumption per person, now that's another question.

I then took a turn and told them some American stereotypes of the French:
-a French man standing beside the Eiffel Tower wearing a beret, a baguette in one hand and a cigarette in the other
-everyone smokes (I have seen many more young people smoking)
-wine and cheese, wine and cheese, wine and cheese
-fatty foods, skinny people, how does this work?
-they don't shower often and as a result they smell bad
-the women don't shave
-the French are arrogant and rude

The students laughed about the beret and were offended by the attack on their hygiene. I
laughed about Chuck Norris and was disappointed that Americans are viewed as wasteful. It's hard hearing negative things about the United States, even if I agree that many things should be different. I'll be the first to say that France's social welfare system (if you're sick, you will receive care) and food culture (eat food that tastes good, eat food with vitamins, don't eat too much food), to name two things, make more sense to me. But on the other hand, in their last election the French weren't ready for a female president and they are years away from electing a black leader (or even nearly electing one).

A few weeks ago I received some good advice in an email from a friend. "Your life sounds pretty cool," he wrote, "just be sure you don't come back as one of those kids who thinks Americans are stupid and everything they do is Europe, Europe, Europe."

Point taken, friend. Now if the two worlds would just come together, I could eat unpasteurized cheese in the comfort of a yellow taxi.

2 commentaires:

Lucie Legay a dit…

Ma chère Sonia,

As you said French people can be really arrogant, moreover those young silly boys...

I fully understand your disappointment from that moment, but try to remember that each French doesn't have the same point of view!

Of course there is aberrant things in both countries (the power of the Army, the super-heroes who will save the world, the sexy girls...// always on strike, never satisfied, speaking only in french...) but as you're here in France, take the best of us for you and forget everything else.

Because your smores with graham crackers seems to be delicious!
Because our unpasteurized and fat tasty milk is yummy! ;o)

I hope your enthusiasm i especially appreciate will be back after your next english lesson with those boys!!!

Au plaisir de te lire...

Mariah Pittman a dit…

Sonia Begonia,

I enjoyed reading this post and was so impressed by how you are directing your students. I have come across so many of the same stereotypes of Americans in Britain, which can be disappointing but at that same time stereotypes I myself held (alhtough never come across any Chuck Norris comments!!)

It is so great that that by living and teaching abroad you are helping young French kids see that stereotypes are just that: stereotypes.

Look forward to seeing you and have loads to catch up on! Mariah